- 4 strips turkey bacon
- 2 large sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pinch granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup Gruyere or Swiss cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add onions, sugar, and a pinch of salt to skillet and cook until soft and starting to turn golden, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until onions are a deep golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until vinegar is reduced by half.
- Add thyme and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, and cheese.
- Crumble bacon into pieces and add along with the onions.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a small baking dish or ovenproof skillet (2 cup capacity) and bake until mixture is bubbly and the top is golden brown, about 20 minutes.