- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (16 oz.) package velveeta, cubed
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 small potatoes, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, diced
- 1 (13.25 oz.) can whole corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 1 (13.25 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chiles
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter in skillet, then whisk in flour.
- Cook roux for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown, then whisk in whole milk.
- Season with salt and pepper, then remove from heat and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and cook ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks, until browned.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and garlic powder, then transfer beef to a separate plate and drain all but 2 tablespoons fat.
- Add onion, potatoes and bell pepper to Dutch oven and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until veggies are softened and fork tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, cumin and cayenne, then add corn, black beans and green chiles.
- Return beef to pot and stir in chicken or beef broth.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in refrigerated roux mixture, then add in cubed velveeta.
- Cover again and cook for another 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and soup is thick and smooth.
- Serve hot, topped with cheese.